Statistics

Users
Articles
Articles View Hits

Not running Full Screen???

2 years 2 months ago #1 by tula1959

• Thank you received: 11

• Birthdate: Unknown
  • Been playing for a number of weeks now - and I suddenly do not have a full screen game anymore??? I did not change anything, and now I am seeing huge black borders on each side of the game screen...(see pics) I swear it has been full screen up to now, unless I am losing my mind LOL And Yes, the Full Screen option IS checked in the options list...
    I even tried to uninstall and install fresh but still the same... Help!?
    Running Win10 with game set to Win7 compatible as will not run in Win10 (the windows open but all the info in them is blank spaces) Have had no problems up until now!
    Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 years 2 months ago #2 by DarkRob

• Regimental Commander
  • Regimental Commander

• Thank you received: 283

• tula1959 wrote: Been playing for a number of weeks now - and I suddenly do not have a full screen game anymore??? I did not change anything, and now I am seeing huge black borders on each side of the game screen...(see pics) I swear it has been full screen up to now, unless I am losing my mind LOL And Yes, the Full Screen option IS checked in the options list...
    I even tried to uninstall and install fresh but still the same... Help!?
    Running Win10 with game set to Win7 compatible as will not run in Win10 (the windows open but all the info in them is blank spaces) Have had no problems up until now!

Try unchecking the full screen option and then changing the resolution to match your monitor's. If you're unsure of your monitors resolution just start with the highest resolution and work your way down until everything fits on the screen right. With a little experimentation you should find the right resolution. Remember everytime you change resolutions you have to restart the game for it take effect.

2 years 2 months ago #3 by RebBugler

• NSD Designer
  • NSD Designer

• Thank you received: 2022

• Birthdate: 07 Feb 1948
  • Check the Format controls for your TV/monitor, looks like you bumped it off Wide Screen.

Expanded Toolbar - Grog Waterloo
    Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios and more...

2 years 2 months ago #4 by tula1959

• Ok - display resolution is 1920 x 1080...……….When I set the game option to that resolution the active window gets
    EVEN SMALLER....…… There is no setting on my display itself for widescreen... Unchecked Full Screen option in game and tried them all, restarting each time - the best I can get is as in the pic in prior post above... and that is with the LOWEST setting on the graphics options …. Reb, are you going to tell me I am again going where no one has gone before???? LOL

I just don't understand what changed - all other games and programs are running full screen as they should so I do not think it is a setting in the monitor itself...and I know I did not change any settings to bring this about...

??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? :(

2 years 2 months ago #5 by remus

• Thank you received: 116

• Hi Tula 1959
    You might need to go into the games ini. file and enter your screen resolution and then save it. Make sure when you start the game that it is then showing the new resolution. Enter the details into the first section of the ini. file. I had a similar problem and that fixed it. Let us know if that works and what happened if it did not.

Remus

2 years 2 months ago #6 by tula1959

• Thanks Remus, worth a try! But I can not find the ini.file - where is it located??? Looked through all the game folders and could not find it??

2 years 2 months ago #7 by tula1959

• Ok - so this is what I get after setting the game option resolution to 1920x1080 to match the same of the monitor setting! It is the same with the game option Full Screen checked and unchecked...

After many hours of experimentation it would seem to me that the game option Full Screen has been corrupted or disabled somehow.... as it is clearly having no impact on the situation... That being said, one would think that a full uninstall/reinstall of the game would clear that out and reestablish whatever needed to be so and remedy the issue...However that had NO impact on the situation and remains the same..... This makes absolutely NO sense whatsoever and I am VERY frustrated at this point!!!!

Again, when I first installed the game weeks ago, and since that time, I had NEVER touched the game options screen resolution or Full Screen button - however they initially installed is where they stayed...
    Attachments:

2 years 2 months ago #8 by remus

• Hi Tula 1959

What you have illustrated is exactly what was happening to me. A quick fix that I used until I got it working was to right click on exe. then go to compatibility settings and use that to open the game. I’m not at my computer, this is my iPad, but I will get you the details of working through the ini. file. It will take a little time before I can do it but trying the compatibility mode might get you going in the meantime.

remus

2 years 2 months ago #9 by tula1959

• Thanks Remus - but I see no way of launching the game from the properties>compatibility area... Not sure what you are talking about there????? Right click on the autorun.exe > select properties > select compatibility > there is no way to launch game from there...….

2 years 2 months ago #10 by RebBugler

• NSD Designer
  • NSD Designer

• Have you tried another game that previously had no issues regarding wide screen display to check whether it's a monitor adjustment or SOW?

2 years 2 months ago #11 by tula1959

• Reb, Yes I tried two other games (OOB-WW2 and Campaign Series) and both run full screen just fine as they have always done.... Therefore it is NOT a setting on the monitor but something specific to SOW..??????? Clueless!!!

2 years 2 months ago #12 by RebBugler

• NSD Designer
  • NSD Designer

• What happens when you try the default setting?

[Initialization]
    Full Screen=1
    Screen Res=0

The sowgb.ini file is located in the sowgb/Work folder.

I use the default settings with my wide screen 48 inch HDTV and have never experienced a resolution issue as long as the TV Format adjustment is set to full screen.

2 years 2 months ago #13 by tula1959

• Ok - found the ini file - and it shows just what you said

[Initialization]
    Full Screen=1
    Screen Res=0
    AntiA=0
    Anso=0

Can I change the "Screen Res"??? That is what Remus was talking about I think??? Put in 1920x1080??? Does not sound likely....

And yes I have tried the defaults - just stays the same - no effect

2 years 2 months ago #14 by tula1959

• Ok - found the ini file - changed the Screen Res value from 0 to 10 - what this does is start the game with the even smaller game screen as per when I changed to 1920x1080 from the game options screens...
    Hoping Remus can offer further guidance here!!!??? Or is that what you were talking about that fixed for you??
    HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 years 2 months ago #15 by remus

• Hi tula1959
    Type your actual screen resolution instead of number 10 into the ini file,save the file, then close it. Open the game and if that work then change the setting in the interface like you have been doing. Close the game and reopen as the changes won’t occur until you restart the game.

remus

2 years 2 months ago #16 by tula1959

• No joy Remus - result is the same - the very small game window as in the pic above - that ini change just starts the game at the 1920x1080 resolution - and that resolution (which IS the same as monitor setting) is not going full screen - indeed smaller window than when set to 1024x768...
    Any other thoughts?????????? I am close to giving up in total frustration....

Given all of the stuff I have said in above posts - HOW can a total reinstall of the game NOT clear away whatever the problem is????

I DO have Chancellorsville but have never yet installed it - am I correct that it is a stand-alone platform??
    If so than in theory it should not be impacted by whatever this Gettysburgh problem is??? I am almost afraid to try it as I do not think I could stand to see the same issue there .....LOL
    Attachments:

2 years 2 months ago #17 by remus

• Hi tula 1959
    The other option I suggested I think you did it incorrectly. I should have said the SOWGB.exe not the autorun.exe.

1. SOWGB.exe-right click
    2. Troubleshoot compatibility- left click
    3. app detects problems
    4. Choices are "Try recommended settings","Troubleshoot program"
    5. Click Try recommended settings.
    If download is not corrupted this should give you a resolution. In my case it fixed the problem
    6. Troubleshoot programme may be essential dependent on your operating system,7,8,10 for example or trying "Run as administrator" which is above the Compatibility option here.

The problems I had were with the Original Gettysburg programme. I have the Anniversary version at the moment and run it on OS10. From memory the original one kept giving problems and I had to use the above method to get it working if I wanted to play the game.It played fine once fired up so if you get it to work then Chancellorsville should work too.

remus
    The following user(s) said Thank You: RebBugler

2 years 2 months ago #18 by tula1959

• Remus - again no joy - same as has been - no effect on anything to fix the problem
    :angry: :( :unsure: :dry:

2 years 2 months ago #19 by remus

• Hi tula 1959

That's me out of options sorry about that.If you bought it from matrix and registered the game you might be able to download it again in case it is corrupt. One last thought are you actually opening the game whenever you try the different options. My game doesn't open as full screen but once I open the game it covers the whole screen. Had to ask

remus
    The following user(s) said Thank You: RebBugler

2 years 2 months ago - 2 years 2 months ago #20 by RebBugler

• NSD Designer
  • NSD Designer

• I still think it's your display. Start up the game, then look around the sides of your monitor and start pressing buttons as you find them, and watch what they do. Your newer games may adjust the monitor automatically, whereas SOW is getting ancient in terms of technology and may need manual adjustments. Like I began my help cycle, you may have bumped something, since all of a sudden the picture size changed, when it was working fine with SOW previously.

Last edit: 2 years 2 months ago by RebBugler.

2 years 2 months ago #21 by chee

• Thank you received: 19

• Replied by chee on topic Re: Not running Full Screen???
    vedio seting,,,,Screen zoom mode full screen

2 years 2 months ago #22 by tula1959

• So more experiments today...More time spent NOT playing the game but trying to unravel this non-full screen mystery.

1) There is NO setting or control on the monitor that does anything to correct it. But did play around with the monitor's resolution setting. The standard setting for this monitor is 1920x1080 (hdmi) and this is where it is set for full screen as standard - just fine in all windows and programs. When you LOWER the resolution the active portion of the screen gets SMALLER as you lower it. Inside the game, it is just the opposite - the more you RAISE
    the resolution the SMALLER the active window.... Just saying THIS MAKES NO SENSE LOL

2) Just to see - I dusted off my old system and monitor and installed SOWGB on it - to see if there was something corrupt about my software - No issues AND a FULL SCREEN display..... The older monitor is NOT a wide screen like the newer one and it has a max resolution of only 1280x1024.... and again when you Lower the resolution the active portion of the screen gets SMALLER.... But at least we know there is no problem with my software!

Moderators: ShirkonChamberlainFlanyboy