Articles
Articles View Hits

More problems opening SOWG

5 years 9 months ago #1 by cliometrician

• Regimental Commander
  • Regimental Commander

• Thank you received: 23

• Birthdate: Unknown
  • Taking advice from this site, and from the Matrix Help Desk, I uninstalled SOWG (after saving my Mods and Work folders) and downloaded the game from Matrix. The game would still not open. Matrix said that it was probably because the program had been quarantined. When I tried to fix it, SOWG would still not open. Here are the following messages I then sent to the Matrix Help Desk:

>Re: your recent advice to check my anti-virus/anti-malware, I'm afraid I am out of my depth here, but here is what I tried. I have Macafee security. SOWG was in the quarantine list and I deleted it. Reboot and game would not open. I went back to Mcafee and went to internet connections for programs. SOWG was there and it was set for "Use designated ports (recommended)." I changed that to "open ports to home and work networks." Rebooted. Game would not open.<

>I went to Windows firewall and it lists apps allowed to communitcate through firewall. SOW is not on the list. But to add it, there is a space for me to put in the path and click add. But I don't know that path name. Is it SOWG?<

>Now, when I click on the kepi in the toolbar, a message comes up asking if I want to allow this program to make changes to my computer---I press yes and up pops the same banner I've been getting: Play-Scourge of War Gettysburg. But double-clicking on that does not start the game.<

I have limited knowledge of Windows 10, and only partially know if anything I'm doing is correct. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I just want the game to open.

"I may have fought on the side that was wrong, but I fought on the right side." John S. Mosby

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

5 years 9 months ago #2 by RebBugler

• Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Design, Mods, NSD Designer

• Thank you received: 2140

• Birthdate: 07 Feb 1948
  • >I went to Windows firewall and it lists apps allowed to communitcate through firewall. SOW is not on the list. But to add it, there is a space for me to put in the path and click add. But I don't know that path name. Is it SOWG?<

To get the path right click on the sowgb shortcut you use to open the game. Select Properties and the Target line is your path.

Don't know about the McAfee situation, but I'd think you should have had an option to take sowgb out of quarantine, not delete it. Usually an option to allow the app access is available, and not the ports options being the issue here.

Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...

5 years 9 months ago #3 by cliometrician

• Regimental Commander
  • Regimental Commander

• Thank you for the info, I'm still plugging away at it.

"I may have fought on the side that was wrong, but I fought on the right side." John S. Mosby

5 years 9 months ago #4 by mitra76

• Banned
  • Banned

• Thank you received: 383

• Are you sure the game don't open for the mcafee? Do it open and close with a message error or the screen doens't appears at all without any error message?

Visit my wargames blog: warforgame.blogspot.it/

5 years 9 months ago #5 by cliometrician

• Regimental Commander
  • Regimental Commander

• My latest attempts to open the game: I disabled all startup programs, but the game still would not open. I uninstalled and then installed again. I restored SOWG from McAfee quarantine. Nothing changed. When I double-click on the kepi icon I get a message that reads: "Do you want to allow this app from an unknown publisher to make changes to your PC?" I click YES and up pops a banner that says, among other things: PLAY Scourge of War Gettysburg. I click on the banner and nothing happens.

I've followed advice from here and from the Matrix Help Desk. I must be missing some step. When I got this computer 2 years ago with Windows 10 I had no problem at all connecting. I don't know what has changed.

I am at my wit's end. Does anyone have any ideas? Hep will be greatly appreciated.

5 years 9 months ago #6 by RebBugler

• Administrator
  • Administrator

• Try this:

Go into SOWGB\Base\Music and rename the file SOWGB_Intro.mp3. It's a long shot but works for some.

5 years 9 months ago - 5 years 9 months ago #7 by cliometrician

• Regimental Commander
  • Regimental Commander

• Will do.

Last edit: 5 years 9 months ago by cliometrician. Reason: to delete the message

5 years 9 months ago #8 by cliometrician

• Regimental Commander
  • Regimental Commander

• Ok, I renamed the SOWGB_Intro.mp3 file. Still can't open the game. Thank you Reb for trying to help. I'm trying every suggestion I get, from here and from Matrix.

5 years 9 months ago #9 by cliometrician

• Regimental Commander
  • Regimental Commander

• I just noticed that in my Scourge of War - Gettysburg folder there is no folder labeled SOWGB.exe. I thought I always had a file by that label in my previous game. Should such a file exist?

5 years 9 months ago #10 by mitra76

• Banned
  • Banned

• I just noticed that in my Scourge of War - Gettysburg folder there is no folder labeled SOWGB.exe. I thought I always had a file by that label in my previous game. Should such a file exist?

No there's not a directory sowgb; is the file SOWGB.exe in the main directory ?

"Do you want to allow this app from an unknown publisher to make changes to your PC?"

This is a very strange message, but I understood when you execute the matrix intro bar (which is not the main game but a starting menu)

What happen if you click directly on SOWGB.exe from the game folder?

5 years 9 months ago - 5 years 9 months ago #11 by cliometrician

• Regimental Commander
  • Regimental Commander

• No, there is not a SOWGB.exe in the folder--I just thought there was supposed to be. The only exe file is: autorun.exe and when I double-click on it I get the same message and banner as when I double-click on the kepi shortcut ico

Last edit: 5 years 9 months ago by cliometrician.

5 years 9 months ago #12 by mitra76

• Banned
  • Banned

• Then this means the exe has been quarantined again at the moment of execution (or during an autoscan) or never go out from quarantine. Can you find it here?

5 years 9 months ago #13 by cliometrician

• Regimental Commander
  • Regimental Commander

• SOWG was quarantined, but I restored it. I thought that would do the trick, but it did not. Can't understand why it's still not working.

5 years 9 months ago #14 by mitra76

• Banned
  • Banned

• You need to create a exclusion rule in mcafee for the .exe otherwise it will quarantine it every time

The following user(s) said Thank You: RebBugler

5 years 9 months ago - 5 years 9 months ago #15 by cliometrician

• Regimental Commander
  • Regimental Commander

• I have tried to figure out how to do so, but no luck so far. I believe I have it excluded in McAfee, but not sure. This is getting beyond my expertise.

To clarify: should I have a file in my directory entitled: SOWGB.exe
    It was in my previous game that crashed, but it is not currently in my SOW foler.

Last edit: 5 years 9 months ago by cliometrician.

5 years 9 months ago - 5 years 9 months ago #16 by RebBugler

• Administrator
  • Administrator

• Here's an old thread, but I think it's still pertinent from other articles that I read:
    community.mcafee.com/thread/33222?tstart=0

Basically it says that you can't use an exe that McAfee won't accept. In order to use the exe you must turn off the real time scanner and this allows you to remove it from quarantine. But it's just temp because turning the scanner back on quarantines the exe again...yuk!

If this is your issue and it fixes you then I'm at a loss why other McAfee users haven't reported this. I forget stuff, but this is a biggie.

And, if this works, why did McAfee all of a sudden not accept it? An Update?

Last edit: 5 years 9 months ago by RebBugler.

5 years 9 months ago #17 by cliometrician

• Regimental Commander
  • Regimental Commander

• I'm not even sure if McAfee is the problem, although I suspect it is. But 2 years ago on this same computer running McAfee the game downloaded with no problem.

I'm just going to disable McAfee and see if that works.

5 years 9 months ago #18 by cliometrician

• Regimental Commander
  • Regimental Commander

• My problem is solved--the game now opens. But I had to take two steps: I uninstalled McAfee. Next, I downloaded the game from another link on the Matrix site, not from the address I was given earlier. Don't know which one did it, I'm just glad it's over.

Thank you to all who helped me; your suggestions helped me winnow down the problem to its solution.

The following user(s) said Thank You: RebBugler

5 years 9 months ago #19 by ferragus

• Thank you received: 3

• Hello!

I'm having the exact same problem! Its McAfee for sure...
    There must be a way for the .exe to not be considered malign.

I'm not very much willing to unninstall my antivirus for which I have payed more than for the game, because the exe is beeing taken for a virus, that just does not make sense... There must be another way! Any help?

I've unninstalled the game, and it runned fine again, untill I've restarted the pc...

Thanks

5 years 9 months ago - 5 years 9 months ago #20 by ferragus

• Thank you received: 3

• [img]file:///C:/Users/Jo%C3%A3o/Desktop/McAfee%20report.png[/img]

SOWGB.exe Is beeing classified as Artemis! 7FDAEE2A0187 and B86E54D20DEC and quarentined.
    I cannot restore the file and so I cannot send it to McAfee to report as false.
    I'm trying to send a png file with the antivirus report...
    Last edit: 5 years 9 months ago by ferragus.

5 years 7 months ago #21 by Don

• GB - AN - CV - PC - BS
  • GB - AN - CV - PC - BS
  • The South Always Rises Again

• Thank you received: 19

• Replied by Don on topic Re: More problems opening SOWG
    Same problem as Cliometrician. The icon is just that- an icon. When I downloaded the updates for this site, McAfee reported a bonus download- an Artemis Trojan, which it quarantined. I've been trying to get the game to work on my W10 pro, but no go. It looks like taps for Gettysburg.

5 years 7 months ago #22 by Col D. Streamer

• Thank you received: 5

• Birthdate: 31 Mar 1952
  • I am having the same problem having bought a new laptop and trying to run SOWGB on it. I have a ticket open with Matrix and all they can tell me is to restore SOWGB from quarantine and to exclude it from the scan, Hoberer everytime it gets re-quarantined. I am resigned to waiting for Macafee to expire and installing a new virus protection.

Its a shame really because it is stopping me from buying Waterloo

regards to all

Nick

5 years 7 months ago #23 by Don

• GB - AN - CV - PC - BS
  • GB - AN - CV - PC - BS
  • The South Always Rises Again

• Thank you received: 19

• Replied by Don on topic Re: More problems opening SOWG
    It is also stopping me from buying Waterloo. I have been in touch with McAfee, & I explained the situation to them a week ago, but they have not yet resolved the issue. The issue is clearly a misidentification of SOW.exe with a Trojan. This happens only on W10 Pro to my knowledge. I am awaiting the results from McAfee, & I expect that when they are satisfied that SOW.exe is not an Artemis Trojan they will remove it from their definitions of a virus. Until then, we can only wait.

5 years 7 months ago #24 by Saddletank

• Premium Member
  • Premium Member

• Thank you received: 587

• Birthdate: 06 Sep 1959
  • McAfee is the one common element in these problems, it seems. I suggest trying a different AV program. McAfee is not very good anyway and is full of holes as well as infamous for false positives like these.

HITS & Couriers - a different and realistic way to play SoW MP.

5 years 7 months ago #25 by Col D. Streamer

• I only use Macafee because I bought a new laptop and had a year free with them. It expires in July so I will change then

regards to all

Nick

5 years 7 months ago #26 by Martin James

• Thank you received: 147

• I would echo Saddletank's advice.

Macafee often comes with new PCs but you can always strip it out and use AVG instead. I think it's just as good, there is a free version, and does not give rise to any problems with SOW.

Martin (J)

5 years 7 months ago #27 by Saddletank

• Premium Member
  • Premium Member

• Thank you received: 587

• Birthdate: 06 Sep 1959
  • Antivir by Avira is another highly rated free AV suite. Both this and AVG are probably more secure than McAfee. Avira gets rated well by the techy forums and is probably the best free one out there.

If you are going to pay for anti-virus F-Secure and Eset are probably the two best ones currently. I use E-Set and its extremely effective.

HITS & Couriers - a different and realistic way to play SoW MP.

5 years 6 months ago #28 by Col D. Streamer

• There is a happy ending. I uninstalled Macafee,installed another virus protetcion, downloaded SOW again from Matrix and all is well. I'll get Waterloo now!

regards to all

Nick

5 years 6 months ago - 5 years 6 months ago #29 by bleuduck

• Thank you received:

• I turned off the "REAL TIME SCANNING" feature in MacAfee after removing the "SOWGB.exe" file from the quarantined files and the game then worked fine. Turn REAL TIME SCANNING back on if going on tne web.
    Last edit: 5 years 6 months ago by bleuduck.

5 years 6 months ago #30 by Kerflumoxed

• Retired FB Coach, History & Pol. Sci. Professor

• Thank you received: 32

• As a subscriber to Time-Warner internet, I received a "free" anti-virus download for McAfee. Now, I can't play SoW and Matrix/Slitherline is little/no help. So, I contacted McAfee direct and while they seem sympathetic to my plight, they said that I will have to go to T/W. They also gave me a McAfee case number and said there was a McAfee team that worked only with T/W issues. Called T/W and found out that the "team" does not work on weekends! Nice! Anyway, will try them in the morning.

Just thought I would add this in case anyone else has T/W and the same problem.

J

Jack Hanger
    Fremont, NE
    [/size]
    "Boys, if we have to stand in a straight line as stationary targets for the Yankees to shoot at, this old Texas Brigade is going to run like hell!" J. B. Poley, 4th Texas Infantry, Hood's Texas Brigade

Moderators: ShirkonChamberlainFlanyboy