'True Ground SR1' - Scenarios & OOBs

4 weeks 10 hours ago - 4 weeks 10 hours ago #61 by RebBugler

• NSD Designer
  • NSD Designer

• Thank you received: 1936

• Birthdate: 07 Feb 1948
  • Jolly wrote: GB2-09

OUCH!
    I got bitten hard by this one. I found it not so easy to take the little round top in the firsat place, due the Union defensive postition, so I never reached the score that triggers the next phase. Instead, when I DID manage to occupy the Little Round Tops, I was set upon by huge Union forces, although I ALMOST managed to hang in there for a draw!

David(jolly)

Alright...Feedback.

My approach was to mass most of my forces due west of the objective, the Union right flank, then bull-rushed (attackmarch run) the objective. From that elevation, with the objective activated, you then have the high ground advantage to decimate Vincent's troops in the vicinity. On the Union left flank I just moved the Alabama 15th in close, unTC'd Oates, gave him attack orders, and he kicked butt. Within minutes Vincent's brigade was toast and I had time to prepare my defenses for what was to come, horde after horde of blue devils, some red.

Hope this helps, too many defeats can be frustrating, maybe this set of tactics can bump your score, and eventually result in a colorized End Pict.:)

Some will say my tactics explained are gamey. Maybe so, but history taught us that attacking along the whole line at once would result in failure, probably like your defeat. Besides, en mass all out attacks were not unheard of. They just took veteran troops that followed orders, with their stubbornly brave officers leading the way.

Expanded Toolbar - Grog Waterloo
    Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios and more...
    Last edit: 4 weeks 10 hours ago by RebBugler.
    The following user(s) said Thank You: Jolly

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

3 weeks 6 days ago #62 by Jolly

• NSD Artist
  • NSD Artist

• Thank you received: 705

• Birthdate: Unknown
  • Thanks for that Reb.
    I'n not sure how you managed to move most of you forces to the Union right - It's hard to get them to do much without them wondering off, or engaging, even when I TC them they still do their own thing! Also it's just a few minutes before the huge Union support starts arriving (their artillery already ariving on the right when the game begins).
    It's most likely I'm missing a trick or two here - just got to figure out what!
    It's fun trying. :)

David(jolly)
    The following user(s) said Thank You: RebBugler

3 weeks 6 days ago - 3 weeks 6 days ago #63 by RebBugler

• NSD Designer
  • NSD Designer

• Jolly wrote: Thanks for that Reb.
    I'n not sure how you managed to move most of you forces to the Union right - It's hard to get them to do much without them wondering off, or engaging, even when I TC them they still do their own thing! Also it's just a few minutes before the huge Union support starts arriving (their artillery already ariving on the right when the game begins).
    It's most likely I'm missing a trick or two here - just got to figure out what!
    It's fun trying. :)

David(jolly)

Glad you're being entertained, but now it's time to get serious, and kick some butt.:evil:

This initial strategy worked for me:
    - Detach the 47th and 15th Alabama
    - Move Sheffield just past Bennings middle just east of the Plum Run, attackmarch, form column
    - Run Benning east toward the objective, halt Benning just out of musket range, form column
    - TC Jones of Benning's brigade, run Jones to the middle of the Union battery's position, or close to, attackmarch, form column
    - Now it's all about timing and execution. When the bulk of Benning's brigade is in column run Benning to beyond the objective about 50 yards, attackmarch, form column. Followup with Sheffield's brigade. Run the brigades when near the crest. When Jones's regiment is in canister range select Jones and hit run, then charge and capture guns when distance allows. After the guns are silenced form a regiment line, attackmarch, run, to delay the incoming reinforcements from the northeast. Once you command the objective with your mob, TC and move each officer in position first, then form your regimental lines to slowly steamroll down Vincent's line. Start setting up your defences for the blue horde coming from the northeast.
    - Don't force the 47th and 15th Alabama on the left until the Rebel steamroller engages the Federals there, mainly keep the 47th in reserve, and fresh, for the defensive fight to come.

Last edit: 3 weeks 6 days ago by RebBugler.

3 weeks 4 days ago - 2 weeks 4 days ago #64 by RebBugler

• NSD Designer
  • NSD Designer

• GB2-05_July2-Devil's Den, 1st Texas, First to Glory (C-Regt)

Length of Play: 30 minutes

Command: Colonel Philip Work, commanding the 1st Texas Regiment

Situation: After a perilous journey through cannon and long range musket fire, before you lies the foreboding Federal position at Devil's Den, a rocky ridge strewn with and characterized by a wall of massive boulders. Your Texans have been itching for a fight, and now it's here. They fix bayonettes with your first order, and wait anxiously for their next. For now, the fight must begin...The fight for this Devil's Den, and a chance for glory.

Mission: Help secure Devil's Den

Forces Available:
    Colonel Philip Work commanding the 1st Texas Regiment, Robertson's Brigade, Hood's Division, I Corps, Army of Northern Virginia under Lieutenant General James Longstreet

1st Texas Regiment, Colonel Philip Work
    Company A 'Marion Rifles'
    Company B 'Livingston Guards'
    Company C 'Star Rifles'
    Company D 'Marshall Guards'
    Company E 'Reagan Guards'
    Company F 'Texas Guards'
    Company G 'Crockett Southrons'
    Company H 'Texas Invincibles'
    Company I 'Lone Star Rifles'
    Company K 'Sumter Light Infantry'

Regiment strength: 427 troops and officers

One second left...One company captured, one routed, had to retire three, but still the Texans prevailed, if just barely...

The 'Veteran' strength of the 1st Texas alone will almost insure a victory for decent or gamey type play. However, swift and precise movements along with overall troop management and oversight are necessary for a Major Victory.

GB2-05_July2-Devil's Den, 1st Texas, The Dirty Dozen (C-Regt)
    This is an additional GB2-05 scenario included with this update that adds two companies (hence, The Dirty Dozen) to the 1st Texas for historical accuracy. So, for the historical purists out there, here's a more accurate version. For me, it's the tougher version to succeed with, shown by this, my best effort to date...

Got in another play after this write-up and managed a 3011 MV score, so, 'The Dirty Dozen' is winnable. Still, it is tougher due to the simple fact that smaller units rout faster than larger units, and routs cost dearly in points and battle strength.

***Historical Information***

1st Texas, Devil's Den
    ...The 1st Texas Infantry moved up toward the triangular field and as soon as they were in the open started receiving artillery fire from Smith's battery on Houck's Ridge. The Texans continued moving until they reached a stone wall at the base of the triangular field. The 1st Texas found some safety behind this stone wall because the guns of Smith's battery could not depress far enough to fire on them. The troops formed two lines behind the wall with the front line kneeling behind the wall and the back line standing behind them.

The first rush at the enemy made it within fifty yards of Smith's battery but was quickly repelled by the 124th New York Volunteer Infantry Regiment and Ward's Brigade. Next the Texans regrouped and pushed slowly forward a few feet at a time but they were once again repelled by the artillery atop the ridge and the 124th New York. The 124th charged into the line of the 1st Texas and drove them back down the rocky slope. The 1st Texas infantry fell back to the southwest wall of the triangular field and held their ground here. As the New Yorkers charged through the open terrain and got within one hundred feet of the wall, the Texans opened fire and “dropped nearly one-quarter of them in their tracks”. The 124th of New York surged forward once again but they had gone as far as they could go because Brigadier General Henry Benning's Brigade had arrived to support the tired Texans.

The 1st Texas had managed to hold their ground long enough for reinforcements to arrive and it paid off for them greatly. The Confederates had captured the four guns of Smith's battery and took between one hundred forty and two hundred prisoners from their victory.
    (More Details included in the Scenario Intro)

Attachments:
    Last edit: 2 weeks 4 days ago by RebBugler.

3 weeks 2 days ago - 2 weeks 4 days ago #65 by RebBugler

• NSD Designer
  • NSD Designer

• GB2-04_July2-Into the Slaughter Pen, the 40th NY (U-Regt)

Length of Play: 30 minutes

Command: Colonel Thomas Egan's 40th New York, 'The Mozart Regiment'

Situation: You've just moved from your reserve position west of the wheat field to this ridge overlooking a battle in the making. With enemy troops moving into position you receive your battle orders...Advance and delay the enemy at all costs. With these orders your regiment will join the fight, and fight they will, for we are 'The Mozart Regiment', duty bound.

Mission: Support the left flank of the Union position at Devil's Den

Gameplay:
    The Slaughter Pen objective is worth 1500 points, 15 waypoints at 100 points per, with each numbered thus showing activation progress. Fairer than a single waypoint because enemy breakthroughs will only delay the points, not start a new 15 minute waypoint once reactivated.
    A message will arrive once waypoint 15 is captured. At this point you have the option to withdraw or continue fighting, but no more objective points will be available.

Forces Available:
    Colonel Thomas Egan, commanding the 40th New York Regiment, Colonel Phillippe de Trobriand, Third Brigade, Major General David B. Birney, First Division, III Corps, Army of the Potomac, under Major General Daniel E Sickles

Regiment strength: 432 troops and officers

Fast Forward (+= Key) Warning...
    I've found that fast forwarding your regiment to the objective is a handy time saver for repeat plays. However, I've also found that if fast forwarding continues once engagement kicks in, the scripting can go awry and send unbeatable odds at the objective. This is in no way scripted, it's a glitch caused by fast forwarding when a lot of scripting is going on, enemy attack sequences, etc.

One second left...
    Managed to escape the 'Slaughter Pen' relatively unscathed as Devil's Den was being overrun by the Rebels.

Historically, the 'Mozart Regiment' charged the advancing Rebels seven times in the 'Slaughter Pen' fight. That's about how many times charges will be necessary in order to capture or rout enough Rebel units to score a Major Victory.

***Historical Information***

The 40th New York played a critical role in the defense of the Federal left flank during the second day at Gettysburg, delaying the approach of Law's Division to Little Round Top. Below Devil's Den, the men of the 40th New York were called upon to delay at all costs elements of Benning's Georgia brigade and Law's Alabama brigade, as Confederates began forcing back Hobart Ward's 2nd Brigade of the Third Corps. The 40th New York charged seven times down the course of Plum Run, into the boulders of Devil's Den and the Slaughter Pen.

Attachments:

3 weeks 17 hours ago #66 by Jolly

• NSD Artist
  • NSD Artist

• Again, no colour end pic for me!
    And again a case of not securing the main objective quick enough.
    Once secured I'm OK, but too much time has gone to get a MV.
    Attachments:

2 weeks 6 days ago #67 by RebBugler

• NSD Designer
  • NSD Designer

• Jolly wrote: Again, no colour end pic for me!
    And again a case of not securing the main objective quick enough.
    Once secured I'm OK, but too much time has gone to get a MV.

And, if you approach the objective too soon, you'll invite the 40th NY to blow off the Slaughter Pen and come your way. I'm betting you'll find the right MV formula...took me a while, quite a while in fact.

2 weeks 4 days ago - 2 weeks 4 days ago #68 by RebBugler

• NSD Designer
  • NSD Designer

• Update version 1.44 (May 16, 2020)

- Scenario GB2-08 added
    - Scenarios previously numbered 05-08 are now re-numbered to 04-07. This change was made to group the three Little Round Top scenarios together.

2 weeks 4 days ago - 2 weeks 4 days ago #69 by RebBugler

• NSD Designer
  • NSD Designer

• GB2-08_July2-LRT, Chamberlain's 20th Maine (U-Regt)

Length of Play: 40 minutes

Command: Colonel Joshua Chamberlain's 20th Maine Regiment

Situation: As your regiment came over the crest of this little round top, we could see the fight along the rocky ridge across the valley to the west just getting underway. We also saw southern troops moving to the large wooded hill to our south, only stopping briefly to fire volleys at our withdrawing sharpshooter pickets. Now that fight across the valley is raging, and Confederate flags have begun to appear along the woodline. By all appearances the battle will be coming our way soon, and probably on two fronts, west and south.

Mission: Defend and hold the brigade's left flank, then attack the Rebel rally point in the valley.

Gameplay:
    The first objective is worth 1500 points, 100 points per minute. For capturing the second objective offensive movements will be necessary, as they were historically with Chamberlain's famous charge.
    Shortly after the first objective's points are captured, a second set of objectives will begin to appear. Chamberlain's Regiment MUST have a minimum of 200 troops to activate and capture the initial US objective...a Scout message will arrive and relate more info.

Forces Available:
    Colonel Joshua Chamberlain's 20th Maine Regiment, Colonel Strong Vincent, commanding the Third Brigade, Brigadier General James Barnes, First Division, V Corps, Army of the Potomac, under Major General George Sykes

20th Maine Regiment, Colonel Joshua Chamberlain

Attached from Brigadier General John H. Ward's Brigade:
    2nd U.S. Sharpshooters (2 Companies), Major Homer Stoughton

Regiment strength: 467 troops and officers

Undeniably the most famous fight, led by the most revered hero, of the three days battle at Gettysburg.

Historically the 20th Maine was not involved in the first Rebel attack. However, you have the choice to engage or not. Just know that within ten minutes you'll need fresh troops to fend off direct attacks on your position.

You'll need to resupply your sharpshooters before you enter the valley for your attack. The supply wagon near your first objective will provide your ammo needs...Move those units to its location.

One second left...
    Three companies routed, one retired, still able to prevail...

No scripted variants, no scripted 'bull rushes', the AI will provide for a different fight every time. Some impossible to win, some winnable...Like this one.

Tried to replicate or improve on that MV the next day and the AI once again humbled me with this Draw. Again touting the AI's unpredictability. Got to at least show off the non-colorized version of the End Screen pict...Probably the best blend yet with the newspaper background.

***Biographical Information***

Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain

Gained fame and acclaim on the Second Day (July 2, 1863) at Gettysburg when he commanded the 20th Maine in its famous defense of Little Round Top. His unit, posted as left flank of the Union Army, fended off repeated Confederate attacks throughout the day, and broke the Confederate lines by a bayonet charge ordered and led by Colonel Chamberlain. His actions on that day earned him a Medal of Honor.

Attachments:

2 weeks 3 days ago #70 by Jolly

• NSD Artist
  • NSD Artist

• This is a least an improvement ;)
    Attachments:

1 week 6 days ago #71 by Jolly

• NSD Artist
  • NSD Artist

• A not too shoddy first attempt victory (but no cigar!).
    A case of defending the first objective without suffering too many casualties. It does get a bit hard to shift them after that to the next objective, they are a bit weary!

David(jolly)
    Attachments:

1 week 6 days ago #72 by RebBugler

• NSD Designer
  • NSD Designer

• Jolly wrote: A not too shoddy first attempt victory (but no cigar!).
    A case of defending the first objective without suffering too many casualties. It does get a bit hard to shift them after that to the next objective, they are a bit weary!

David(jolly)

For the first attempt that is an exceptional score, at least compared to my play-testing. Took me several attempts before I scored a victory, and then just barely. Took me at least a couple more plays before the MV I posted to happen. The main snag with this scenario is to maintain enough troops, well over the minimum of 200, to eventually activate and hold the second objective long enough to reach the MV bar.

Good Generalin' Sir!:)

1 week 5 days ago #73 by Jolly

• NSD Artist
  • NSD Artist

• Thats mighty fine praise indeed - thanks Reb.
    Instead of charging the Confederate's regrouping position, I managed to occupy it and hold it to the end.
    Maybe I got lucky!

David(jolly)

1 week 5 days ago #74 by RebBugler

• NSD Designer
  • NSD Designer

• Jolly wrote: Thats mighty fine praise indeed - thanks Reb.
    Instead of charging the Confederate's regrouping position, I managed to occupy it and hold it to the end.
    Maybe I got lucky!

David(jolly)

Deservedly so, you earned it. Still, which cards the enemy AI plays is always a factor, but not always a deciding factor.

Unfortunately Chamberlain's charge is tough to pull off. The player has the option to charge the retreating Rebels, but as you noted before, fatigued and depleted troops don't charge well. Better to wait for your friendlies to wade in first, then support them as they do the charging.:whistle:

1 week 4 days ago #75 by Jolly

• NSD Artist
  • NSD Artist

• That's exactly what I did! :)
    I noticed support coming and took advantage of that,

Great 'little' scenario.

David(jolly)

1 week 2 days ago #76 by Jolly

• NSD Artist
  • NSD Artist

• Hoorah! Glorious colour!

Another very close call - Seemed like it was all going so well, then the objective goes with about ten minutes left, and still short of about 200 points to win. What to do?

I figured maybe best to go for some weaker looking positions to the left of the rebel assault on Little Round Top.

David)jolly)
    Attachments:

1 week 1 day ago #77 by RebBugler

• NSD Designer
  • NSD Designer

• Jolly wrote: Hoorah! Glorious colour!

Another very close call - Seemed like it was all going so well, then the objective goes with about ten minutes left, and still short of about 200 points to win. What to do?

I figured maybe best to go for some weaker looking positions to the left of the rebel assault on Little Round Top.
    David)jolly)

Yeah, this one's MV demands include charging and routing some enemy units. Trading musket volleys alone won't get you there given the time allowed.

Congrats on your colorized win!

5 days 7 hours ago - 4 days 10 hours ago #78 by RebBugler

• NSD Designer
  • NSD Designer

• Update version 1.46 May 29, 2020
    - Addition of scenario GB2-03
    - Eliminated the ‘End Screens’ graphics of scenarios 04-10 to reduce this mod’s bulk for attachment purposes.
    - Make sure to download and install the latest update of 'True Ground' - Devil's Den Map - "The Big Picture" , Version 2.1 Update - May 21, 2020. It includes the ‘End Screens’ graphics of scenarios 04-10. Without this update, any scenarios listed above that are played will crash the game upon End Game.

Last edit: 4 days 10 hours ago by RebBugler.

4 days 10 hours ago #79 by RebBugler

• NSD Designer
  • NSD Designer

• GB2-03_July2-3rd Arkansas, Thru the Rose Woods (C-Regt)

Length of Play: 45 minutes

Command: Colonel Van Manning, commanding the 3rd Arkansas Regiment

Situation: After marching in circles most of the afternoon to deceive the enemy of our intentions we have finally arrived at our destination. As previously ordered, we are about to move forward with our division stepping off en echelon. Our position in the division line will lead us through several fields then into some dense woods. Enemy cannons roaring at the edge of those woods will definitely have infantry support. But first, we must deal with some pesky skirmishers in our way to the real fight...The fight waiting in the Rose Woods.

Mission: Secure all objectives as you fight through the Rose Woods.

Gameplay: Available objective point total 2700, so 300 engagement points are also necessary for a Major Victory. A minimum of 200 troops are required to activate all objectives.

Forces Available:
    Colonel Van Manning, commanding the 3rd Arkansas Regiment, Robertson's Brigade, Hood's Division, I Corps, Army of Northern Virginia under Lieutenant General James Longstreet

3rd Arkansas Regiment, Colonel Van Manning
    Company A 'Arkansas Travelers'
    Company B 'Berlin Beauregards'
    Company C 'Confederate Stars'
    Company D 'Selma Rifles'
    Company E 'Champagnolle Guards'
    Company F 'Hot Spring Hornets'
    Company G 'Three Creeks Rifles'
    Company H 'Orphan Company'
    Company I 'Tulip Rifles'
    Company K 'Ashley Volunteers'

Regiment strength: 478 troops and officers

The Third Arkansas Regiment was the first Confederate regiment of Lee's en echelon attack the second day of Gettysburg to enter the battle and begin the fighting...Of what would become the most intense three hour fight of the Battle of Gettysburg.

One second left...
    Barely hung on, another hit from one of Smith's guns, in the background near the Union regiment in line, and my MV would have been a goner.

This one took a while to develop, much testing and tweaking to make it historic, competitive, and winnable, hopefully translating to immersive fun...which was for me, eventually.:)

***Biographical Information***

The 3rd Arkansas Regiment was formed in June 1861. They were the first long-term regiment from Arkansas, enlisted to serve "for three years or the war." Arriving in the east in the summer of 1861 the 3rd compiled an impressive battle record. In the fall of 1862 the regiment was reassigned to the famed Texas Brigade. Colonel Vannoy Manning, an Arkansas lawyer and one of the founders of the regiment, commanded the 3rd at Gettysburg.

On July 1863 the Texas Brigade was part of the first wave of Longstreet's attack on the Union Left. The 3rd Arkansas formed in the woods on Warfield Ridge just north of the Emmitsburg Road. Moving across the road they headed toward Rose woods and an unseen Union line. Moving uphill after crossing Rose Run the westerners discovered the Union line. Three Union regiments, the 86th NY, the 20th Indiana, and the 99th Pa. crested the wooded hill and poured out a devastating volley. Near the center of the 3rd's line a large rock formation provided as both an obstacle and a relief. Manning advanced, retreated and advanced again to the ledge. For at least an hour the 3rd Arkansas engaged in a desperate fire fight in the Rose woods.

Outnumbered severely and fighting uphill the Arkansans took nearly 40% casualties before the Union regiments could be pushed off the Ridge. While directing the advance Manning was struck in the face by shrapnel near the rock formation that now bears his name. He returned to lead his regiment who stayed on indeed, "for the war" until only 150 men surrendered at Appomattox.

Here we see the 3rd Arkansas at the ledge at about the midpoint of the battle. Colonel Manning is in the center directing the advance. The Union forces in the smoky distance are the 20th Indiana and the 86th New York. These units took over 250 casualties from their 650 men who fought that day in Rose Woods.

Attachments:

2 days 17 hours ago #80 by Jolly

• NSD Artist
  • NSD Artist

• A fantastic scenario Reb, one that continues to surprise all the way through.
    Each time you think 'all is lost'. along come the AI support, just when and where you need them.
    Also I managed a MV on the first run! :)

Cheers,

David(jolly)
    Attachments:

1 day 21 hours ago #81 by RebBugler

• NSD Designer
  • NSD Designer

• Jolly wrote: A fantastic scenario Reb, one that continues to surprise all the way through.
    Each time you think 'all is lost'. along come the AI support, just when and where you need them.
    Also I managed a MV on the first run! :)

Cheers,

David(jolly)

First off, cool, glad this one entertained you thoroughly, or at least by the tone of your post it appears as so.
    Second, darn it, you're not supposed to win the first round. You obviously found a flaw in my master plan to frustrate first-time attempts. Or...
    Third, you're just getting better at kickin' butt.

Congrats and thanks for the kudos...:)

1 day 17 hours ago #82 by Jolly

• NSD Artist
  • NSD Artist

• Yep, I was indeed entertained by this one Reb!
    I do enjoy these smaller command scenarios - they can become epic as things unfold - you really do have to look after your men.

Please, please don't be tempted to make them any harder though. :)
    My nerves could not take it! ;)

Thanks for the entertainment,

David(jolly)

Moderators: ShirkonChamberlainFlanyboy